A fusion of India, Africa and Europe on one of the Indian Ocean’s most beautiful islands, Mauritius is known for being a luxury beach destination with its turquoise waters and palm-fringed beaches. It undoubtedly is a beautiful island, but aside from the perfect beaches you’ll be surprised with all that the island has to offer.
The beaches are, indeed, noteworthy of praise. Encircling the island, they are exactly what the holiday brochures promise, with the world’s third largest coral reef surrounding almost the entire island.
Friendly, welcoming and unremittingly beautiful, Mauritius offers not only fantastic weather and exquisite beaches, but also a distinct cultural identity that is well worth exploring.
Where to stay
A hotel on the beach is a must. The best beach resorts are Grand Baie in the north, Flic en Flac on the west coast and up-market Belle Mare on the east.
Some of the best are…
When to go
Mauritius lies just inside the Tropic of Capricorn, which means you are unlikely to feel the cold at any time of the year. Summer is from December to April, but I found that visiting in June (‘winter’) was perfect. Although it rained occasionally and the winds sometimes picked up, the temperature always remained high and the bad weather would almost always pass within no longer than 1o minutes. Others prefer to visit during the more reliable Mauritian summer, with warm temperatures and the lowest rainfall being from September to December.
What to do
1. Take a Catamaran trip with Sega dancing and a delicious bbq lunch with Neptune Pirate Co Ltd.to Ile aux Cerfs.
2. Relax on Ile aux Cerfs, a private island just off the largest lagoon in Mauritius.
3. Explore Pamplemousses Botanical Garden.
4. Visit Port Louis, the capital, and head to the Caudan waterfront for a sunset cocktail.
5. Take a trip to the breathtaking Chamarel waterfall, a natural beauty spot and the highest waterfall in Mauritius.
6. Soak up the sun on the gorgeous beaches
7. Mix with the locals and have a flutter on the horses at Champ de Mars race course.
8. Spend an afternoon rum-tasting at Rhumerie de Chamarel
Mauritius really is amazing!
Love Emily x